APPLE PIE POCKETS
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 55 MINUTES
These Apple Pie Pockets make a great dessert or grab-and-go snack. Though gluten-free, the texture of the dough is exactly like a regular pie crust, and the apple filling provides a naturally sweet center. A great source of fiber and healthy fats with all the muscle-building and fat-burning elements of apples.
Gluten-Free / Vegan
FOR THE FILLING
3 cups (6 medium) finely chopped
Granny Smith apples
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1⁄2 cup granulated stevia, or as desired
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
TO MAKE THE CRUST
1. In a small bowl, mix the psyllium husk, xanthan gum, and hot water. Set aside to thicken into a gel.
2. In a food processor or blender, process the almond flour, almonds, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda, stopping to stir and scrape down the sides as needed, until a fine flour forms.
3. Add the psyllium husk gel mixture to the food processor, and process. If the dough is still crumbly, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, blending between additions, until the dough clumps together.
4. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet, roll it out into a thin even rectangle, and set aside.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
1. In a large bowl, mix the apples, cinnamon, and stevia.
2. Spread the apple filling on the dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges. Fold in the short edges of the rectangle. Fold the long edges in and over all the filling so that they meet in the center. Smooth out the dough to seal in the filling. It is okay to leave a short slit down the center where the dough meets to expose a small strip of filling, but try to eliminate any gaps or holes elsewhere.
3. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until the crust feels solid to the touch and the apples are bubbling through the slit. Note that the crust will not brown as it would with wheat flour.
4. Cool for at least 10 minutes. Cut in half down the length and into 6 down the width, forming 12 equal pieces. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Enjoy warm, cold, or at room temperature.