CHICKEN WALDORF SALAD
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 25 MINUTES
A well-balanced meal, this salad will keep you satisfied for hours. The lean protein from chicken breast is boosted by protein-rich Greek yogurt and vitamin powerhouses, walnuts and salad greens.
1⁄4 cup Medjool dates, chopped
1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons granulated stevia
8 cups salad greens, divided
16 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 cups celery stalks, chopped
1 1⁄2 cups (3 medium) chopped
Granny Smith apples
1⁄2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Cooking tip: If you have time, leave the finished chicken salad in the fridge for a few hours before topping the salad greens so the flavors can blend.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Place the chicken breasts on a nonstick pan, and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Cooking time will vary based on the size of the breasts.
3. Let the chicken cool, and cut into cubes.
4. In a large bowl, toss the chicken, celery, and apples. In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and lemon juice. Add the yogurt mixture to the chicken mixture, and toss to coat.
5. Add the dates and walnuts, and toss. Season with the salt and stevia.
6. Put about 2 cups of the mixed greens on each of 4 large serving plates, and top each with one-quarter of the chicken mixture. Serve cold and enjoy!