CHOCOLATE PROTEIN MUG CAKE
WITH WHIPPED PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 1 MUG CAKE (4 PIECES)
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES / COOKING TIME: 3 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 23 MINUTES
This protein cake tastes as good as any gluten-based cake, but without the calories. It has all the makings of a star: delicious, protein rich, quick, easy. The frosting is outstanding and super-low in calories. Best of all, it’s an amazing treat that doesn’t count as a cheat meal.
Low Carb / Gluten-Free
FOR THE FROSTING
6 tablespoons Cool Whip Lite
3 tablespoons defatted peanut flour
3 tablespoons granulated stevia
5 drops vanilla extract
Nonfat Greek yogurt, as desired, to give it a cream cheese frosting taste (optional)
Ingredient tips: Not all protein powders are created equal. Choose wisely to ensure the best texture and flavor.
FOR THE CAKE
1 scoop casein protein powder, chocolate, vanilla, or cinnamon flavor
2 tablespoons milled flaxseed
1⁄2 cup water
1⁄3 cup egg whites
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 scoop whey isolate protein powder, chocolate
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons granulated stevia or Splenda
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch ground cinnamon
TO MAKE THE CAKE
1. In a large mug, mix the casein, flaxseed, and water, and set aside to thicken for about 1 minute.
2. Add the egg whites, vanilla, whey, cocoa powder, stevia, baking soda, and cinnamon, and mix well.
3. Microwave in the mug for 2 to 3 minutes, depending on the depth of the cup. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning or drying out.
4. Cool completely, about 15 minutes, and then flip the cake over onto a plate.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING
1. In a small bowl mix the Cool Whip Lite, flour, stevia, vanilla, and yogurt (if using) until smooth.
2. Spread the frosting onto the cake, cut into four even pieces, and serve.
Time-saving tip: Spreading some plain peanut butter on top is a lower-fuss option that can be just as delicious. This option will change the overall calories and nutritional values.
Cooking tip: Ensure the cake has cooled completely before frosting. If it is still warm, the frosting will melt and slide off.