This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 16 MACAROONS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 40 MINUTES
These macaroons could not be easier to make! What a delicious way to work the super-healthy benefits of coconut into your diet.
Dairy-Free / Low Carb / Gluten-Free / Paleo
Ingredient tips: Unsweetened coconut flakes of normal fat content also work great. This will obviously raise the fat and calorie content slightly, but it is still all healthy fat. You can also use shredded coconut instead of coconut flakes. Shredded coconut will have finer coconut pieces, giving the macaroons a softer consistency. Flakes will come in larger pieces and be a bit chewier. Use egg whites from whole eggs. They will hold the macaroons together better than pasteurized egg whites in a carton.
3 egg whites
1⁄2 cup granulated stevia
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
2 cups reduced-fat unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
4. Add the stevia, vanilla extract, and salt, and whisk well.
5. Put the coconut flakes in a medium bowl. Add the egg white mixture, a little at a time, to the coconut flakes. You may not need all of the mixture. You want to add just enough to hold the flakes together, but not so much that the egg white mixture is pooling in the bottom of the bowl. The macaroon mixture should feel a little sticky, making it possible to shape the macaroons.
6. With wet hands, make 16 balls (about the size of golf balls) from the coconut mixture, and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until some of the flakes look toasted and are no longer sticky to the touch.
8. Cool for 5 minutes and serve or store in an airtight container for up to a week.