with Sweet and Spicy Dipping Sauce
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES
This one is a serious hit, because . . . coconut! And shrimp! Lean protein, coated in fiber and healthy fats from super-nutritious coconut flakes, makes this great as an appetizer, party snack, or a main dish.
Dairy-Free / Low Carb / Gluten-Free
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
1⁄4 cup sugar-free orange marmalade
1 teaspoon sriracha
FOR THE SHRIMP
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons shredded coconut, unsweetened
2 tablespoons granulated stevia
24 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined,and tails on
TO MAKE THE SHRIMP
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Put the cornstarch in a small bowl.
4. In a second small bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
5. In a third small bowl, mix the coconut and stevia.
6. Set the three bowls in a row. Take one shrimp by the tail, coat it in cornstarch, and then dip it in the whipped egg whites, the more volume the better. Finally, coat the shrimp in the coconut, and place it on the baking sheet.
7. Bake at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes, turning over after about 7 minutes. The shrimp are done when the coconut has toasted and the tails are pink. (The egg white, if exposed, will still be white.)
TO MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE
1. While the shrimp are in the oven, in a small bowl, mix the marmalade with the sriracha. If necessary, add a little water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to thin out the dipping sauce as needed.
2. Serve the shrimp warm with the dipping sauce.
Per SErving (4 shrimp)
Calories 168 Carbohydrates 8.7g Fat 3.5g Protein 22.2g