Crispy Chicken with Sweet Mustard Dip
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 5 (4-OUNCE) SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
This recipe has just as much crunch and flavor as fried chicken with only half the calories, healthy fats, and absolutely no gluten. If you’ve missed the crispy goodness of fried chicken, you’re welcome!
Dairy-Free / Low Carb / Gluten-Free / Paleo
FOR THE SWEET MUSTARD DIP
1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon granulated stevia
FOR THE CRISPY CHICKEN
20 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and cut into strips
11⁄2 cups crisp rice cereal
1⁄4 cup dried minced onion
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon water
Extra-virgin olive oil spray
TO MAKE THE CRISPY CHICKEN
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
3. In a sealed resealable bag, use a rolling pin or a can to crush the cereal into smaller pieces, being careful not to turn it into a powder. Pour the crushed cereal into a shallow bowl, add the onion, salt, and red pepper, and stir.
4 In a separate shallow bowl, stir well to combine the egg whites and water.
5. Dip a piece of the chicken into the egg whites, and allow any excess to drip back into the bowl. Dredge the chicken in the cereal mixture, pressing down to help it stick and making sure to cover all sides thoroughly.
6. Place the coated chicken on a baking sheet, and lightly spray each piece with the olive oil spray.
7. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the chicken, spray lightly with more olive oil spray, and bake 8 to 10 minutes more.
TO MAKE THE SWEET MUSTARD DIP
1. While the chicken is baking, make the dipping sauce. In a small bowl, mix well to combine the yogurt, mustard, and stevia.
2. Serve the chicken fresh from the oven with the dipping sauce on the side.