FLOURLESS FAT-FREE CHEESE BLINTZES
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 4 BLINTZES
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 15 MINUTES
A decadent brunch or dessert treat that has all the delicious flavor and creamy texture of a traditional blintz, without any flour or added sugar. Packed with protein, they can be prepped and ready to enjoy in a matter of minutes.
Low Carb / Gluten-Free
1⁄4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Extra-virgin olive oil spray
4 tablespoons sugar-free strawberry or raspberry jelly
1 cup pasteurized egg whites (from a carton)
1 scoop casein protein powder, vanilla or cinnamon flavor
2 tablespoons granulated stevia, plus more as needed
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1. In a blender or food processor, blend the egg whites, casein powder, and 2 tablespoons of stevia until smooth. (Alternatively, you can do this by hand in a medium bowl with a whisk.)
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the cottage cheese, ricotta, and lemon juice until the mixture is smooth.
3. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat, and lightly coat with olive oil spray.
4. Pour 1⁄4 cup of batter into the pan, and swirl the pan to create a thin layer. The circle should cover the surface area of the pan. The thinner the better. If you are new to making crepes, start with less than you would assume. You can add more to fill in holes, if needed.
5. As soon as the crepe is sturdy, flip it over and immediately spoon about 1⁄4 cup of the cheese mixture onto the crepe in the lower quadrant nearest you. Fold the crepe over the filling. Then, fold in the two sides next to the filling, making an open-ended packet. Roll away from you as though making a little burrito. Let it sit only long enough to heat the filling, and remove from the pan. Repeat with the remaining batter.
6. In a small bowl, mix the jelly with a little bit of water so that it will have the consistency of a syrup or sauce. Add stevia if you prefer the dressing to be sweeter.
7. Spoon some of the fruit topping onto the blintzes, and serve immediately.