GREEK YOGURT “CHEESECAKE”
WITH CHOCOLATE PROTEIN CRUMB CRUST
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 1 (8-BY-8-INCH) CAKE (SERVES 9)
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 50 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 30 MINUTES
Now you can have your cheese cake and eat it too, thanks to this truly guilt-free cheesecake packed with protein and good fats.
Low Carb / Gluten-Free
FOR THE FILLING
2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1⁄2 cup granulated stevia or Splenda
1 tablespoon gluten-free all-purpose baking mix
Sugar-free jelly, for serving (optional)
FOR THE CRUST
1⁄4 cup almond flour
1⁄2 cup chocolate whey protein isolate
1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons milled flaxseed
1⁄4 cup granulated stevia or Splenda
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Ingredient tip: If you don’t have almond flour on hand, you can make your own by grinding up whole almonds in a blender until they form a flour.
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F.
TO MAKE THE CRUST
1. In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, whey protein, cocoa powder, flaxseed, and stevia. Gradually add the melted coconut oil, and mix until large crumbs form.
2. Transfer to an ungreased 8-by-8-inch pan, spreading over the bottom and pressing the crumb mixture firmly down to form an even crust.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
1. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add the yogurt, and mix until smooth. Add the vanilla, and then gradually stir in the stevia and baking mix. Pour the mixture into the crust.
2. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center is firm.
3. Allow to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. Cut into nine even slices and serve plain or with a sugar-free jelly (remember to add the calories from the jelly to the total).