KEY LIME PROTEIN PIE
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 1 PIE (SERVES 8)
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 35 MINUTES
This pie has all the tangy sweetness of key lime pie packed with protein, fiber, and fat-burning nutrients. You can feel good about eating this renovated version of a classic dessert.
Low Carb / Gluten-Free
FOR THE CRUST
1 tablespoon milled flaxseed
4 tablespoons water
1 scoop whey isolate protein powder, vanilla or cinnamon flavor
1⁄4 cup granulated stevia
1⁄4 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Extra-virgin olive oil spray
FOR THE FILLING
2 egg whites
2 cups nonfat Greek yogurt
3⁄4 cup granulated stevia
1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Ingredient tip: Not all protein powders are created equal. Choose wisely to ensure the best texture and flavor.
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
1. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites and Greek yogurt. Add the stevia, and mix well.
2. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat the key lime juice in the microwave for 1 1⁄2 to 2 minutes, until very hot. Stir in the xanthan gum, and mix until it dissolves completely. As the mixture,cools, it should start to thicken. Once the key lime mixture is cool to touch, add it to the Greek yogurt mixture and stir.
3. Gradually add the cornstarch, mixing thoroughly between additions. Set the filling aside.
TO MAKE THE CRUST
1. In a small bowl, mix the flaxseed with the water, and set aside to thicken.
2. In a large bowl, mix the protein powder, stevia, almond flour, and cinnamon.
3. Gradually add the flaxseed mixture, and knead into a dough.
4. Lightly coat a pie tin with olive oil spray, and press the dough into the pie tin.
5. Pour the filling on top of the crust. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the center is set and does not wiggle when you shake the pie tin and the top has browned slightly.
6. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool, about 30 minutes.
7. Cut into eight equal slices and serve cold.
PEr SErving (1 slice)
Calories 100 Carbohydrates 6.3g Fat 2.4g Protein 14g