PERFECT PUMPKIN PIE
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 1 (9-INCH) PIE (SERVES 8)
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 1 HOUR, 25 MINUTES
A fall favorite you can finally feel good about! This recipe has no butter, flour, sugar, heavy creams or condensed milks, but is still packed with with fiber, protein, and fat-burning spices.
FOR THE CRUST
2 tablespoons psyllium husk
1⁄8 teaspoon xanthan gum
1⁄3 cup hot water
11⁄4 cups almond flour
1⁄2 cup unsalted raw almonds
1⁄2 cup cornstarch
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
3 to 4 tablespoons water, if needed
Coconut oil, for greasing
FOR THE FILLING
1 (15-ounce) can 100% pure pumpkin
1⁄2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 cup (from 8 to 12 eggs) egg whites
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated stevia
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
TO MAKE THE CRUST
1. In a small bowl, mix the psyllium husk, xanthan gum, and hot water. Allow the mixture to sit and thicken for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, process the almond flour, almonds, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda, stopping to stir and scrape down the sides as needed, until a fine flour forms.
3. Add the psyllium husk mixture to the food processor, and process. If the dough is still crumbly, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time, blending between additions, until the dough clumps together.
4. Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet, and roll into a 10-inch circle.
5. Place the dough in a lightly greased 9-inch pie tin using this easy trick with 2 pie tins: First, place 1 pie tin upside down on your work surface. Pick up the parchment paper with the dough, and drape it dough-side-down onto the overturned pie tin. Peel off the parchment paper, and place the second pie tin over the dough. Flip the whole thing over, and remove the inner pie tin. This may seem like extra work, but it does a great job of preventing rips or tears in the dough.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
1. In a blender or food processor, blend the pumpkin, yogurt, cottage cheese, egg whites, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, and stevia on high for 2 to 3 minutes, until smooth. Pour the mixture over the crust.
2. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until small cracks start to form on the filling. If you gently shake the pie, the filling will still wiggle.
3. Remove the pie from the oven, and allow it to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
4. Cut into eight even slices and serve.