GARLICKY ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 5 CUPS
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES / COOK TIME: 1 HOUR
A packed with flavor, these super veggies deliver a hefty dose of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients for very few calories—and hardly any work. Eating just a few Brussels sprouts will give you a full dose of fiber, lots of vitamins, including A, C, and B-6, plus a good amount of minerals, such as potassium, iron, and manganese.
Dairy-Free / Gluten-Free / Paleo / Vegan
3 tablespoons red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tablespoons garlic powder (optional)
1 cup vegetable broth
1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1⁄4 cup minced garlic
2 pounds (4 to 5 cups) Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed, any large sprouts halved lengthwise
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a large bowl, stir the vegetable broth together with the vinegar and garlic. Add the Brussels sprouts, and stir gently to coat.
3. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (or lightly spray the sheet with olive oil spray, but it will add a slight amount of fat). Spread the Brussels sprouts on the prepared sheet in a single layer.
4. Sprinkle the Brussels sprouts generously with the red pepper flakes and garlic powder (if using), and season with salt. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are just tender.
5. Stir, sprinkle with more red pepper flakes and garlic powder (if using), and season again with salt. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes more, until the sprouts are tender when pierced with a sharp knife (cooking time will vary based on the size of the sprouts).
6. Transfer to a platter, plates, or meal prep containers, and serve hot or warm.
Time-saving tip: Before you dress the Brussels sprouts in the vegetable stock mixture, blanch them in a pot of boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes, or precook them in the microwave: Place them in a microwave-safe bowl with 1⁄2 cup of water and cover with plastic wrap. Cut a small slit in the plastic to allow steam to vent. Microwave on high for 10 minutes. Drain the Brussels sprouts, then proceed with the recipe. This will cut the overall cooking time by 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the size of your Brussels sprouts.
PEr Serving (1/2 cup)
Calories 67.2 Carbohydrates 10.6g Fat 1g Protein 6.3g