Spicy latin lime steak rub
Serves 3 to 6
Prep time: 10 minutes / Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
This spicy blend of Latin flavors will really heat up your dinner table. An easy way to make steak that is amazing on its own, in a fajita, a taco or over rice.
Dairy-Free / Low Carb / Gluten-Free / Paleo
For the steaks
3 round sirloin tip steak, boneless, trimmed of all fat
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
for the Rub
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1/2 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
Time-saving tip: the rub can be prepared in bulk and stored in a airtight container for future use.
Cooking-tip: Take your steaks out of the fridge at least 20 minutes prior to cooking them. This allows them to adjust to room temperature so they cook more evenly once placed in the oven.
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees or warm the grill to medium-high heat.
To make the rub
1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix completely.
To make the steaks
1. Spread a thin layer of rub on to a large plate. Press both sides on each steak against the rub, lightly covering both sides. Squirt lime juice over the top of each steak covering it evenly.
2. To bake: Place the steaks on to a baking sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil. To grill: lightly coat the grill with nonstick cooking spray. Place the steak onto the grill. Cook for 7 to 10 minutes per inch of thickness, turning over half way. Longer cooking time will produce a more well done steak.
3. Remove the steaks from the heat and let rest 5 to 8 minutes. Carve into thin slices against the grain.
Serving-tip: If you plan to reheat leftovers at a later time, leave the steak very rare so when re-heated it is not over cooked.