Turkey Satay Skewers
This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 10 (4-OUNCE) SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 10 MINS, PLUS 30 MINS TO MARINATE
COOK TIME: 15 MINS
If you are looking to add flavor to your turkey and spice up your meal without adding extra calories, these skewers are just the ticket. Try them with the cucumber salad. Always a crowd pleasing combo!
Dairy-Free / Low Carb / Gluten-Free / Paleo
1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi powder
2 1⁄2 pounds turkey breast tenderloins, cubed
1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free, if desired) or liquid aminos
2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
41⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
Cooking tip: Turmeric and curry can stain bare skin, so wear gloves when handling, especially if you have acrylic nails.
Serving tip: Satay is typically served with a peanut dipping sauce. To make one, mix a little sriracha, stevia, and lime juice into a scoop of natural peanut butter.
1. Preheat the grill to medium heat or the oven broiler to high, setting the rack about 8 inches from the heat.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, lime juice, soy sauce, curry powder, garlic, turmeric, ginger, cayenne, and wasabi powder.
3. In a large resealable bag, combine the turkey with the marinade, seal the bag, and massage to ensure the turkey is well coated in the marinade to thoroughly coat. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or longer if desired.
4. Thread the turkey pieces onto metal or bamboo skewers. For 4-ounce servings, divide evenly among 10 skewers.
5. Grill, or broil in the prepared pan, for 10 to 15 minutes, turning over once halfway through, and serve.