This is an except from The Ultimate Bodybuilding Cookbook, copyright 2016, by Kendall Lou Schmidt
MAKES 8 FRITTERS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES, PLUS 10 MINUTES TO STAND
COOK TIME: 10 MINUTES
Filling, low calorie, and full of healthy fats, these fritters make a great side dish, appetizer, or snack.
Dairy-Free / Low Carb / Gluten-Free / Paleo
1⁄2 cup (4 or 5) egg whites
1⁄4 cup chopped green onions
1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil, as needed, divided
4 large zucchini
1 tablespoon salt
1⁄2 cup coconut or almond flour
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1. In a food processor fitted with the shredding disk, or using the large holes of a box grater, grate the zucchini. You should have 4 cups. Add the salt, and stir to mix. Transfer to a colander set over the sink, and let stand for 10 minutes.
2. Using your hands or a kitchen towel, squeeze the zucchini tightly to extract excess moisture (the drier the better).
3. Transfer the dried zucchini to a large mixing bowl, add the coconut flour, flaxseed meal, egg whites, and green onions, and mix well.
4. Press enough of the mixture firmly into a 1⁄2-cup measuring cup to fill the cup.
5. Heat half of the coconut oil in a pan with a lid large enough to fit four fritters over medium heat. Add the fritter from the measuring cup, make three more fritters, and add them to the pan. Cover, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until brown on the bottom.
6. Uncover, flip the fritters, cover again, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. The fritters should be brown on each side.
7. Serve warm.
Time-saving tip: You can leave any extra mixture in the fridge for a few days. That way you can fry them up fresh right before you enjoy them.
Serving tip: Try these fritters garnished with a dollop of Greek yogurt (remember to add the calories to the total).